This weekend marked the “unofficial” opening of the summer season, but we sure had a crazy bout of weather. On Thursday we had rain but still we managed to sandwich our ride between the rain storms. The Friday ride in Philadelphia was cancelled due to the impending weather and we advertised an ad hoc ride on Friday morning from Panera. Those few brave souls who come out on Friday went into Panera and never came out to ride due to the rain. Then on Saturday we had a ride in Medford after the WIA/KIA 5K event.
On Sunday we hosted 64 people for our morning Team Evesham all level ride with temperatures in only the 50s to start. It is really Spring? Then we hit the wall, it is debatable where the wind was more intense, along the river in Riverton or on Stacey Haines Road. In Riverton as we left Zena’s (now called the Orange Blossom Cafe) we saw whitecaps along the Delaware River and the temperature dropped 10 degrees.
We often talk about safety in numbers and our B level ride experienced this first hand on Sunday. One of our riders went down but the B group quickly surrounded this person on the ground and initiated the 911 calls for help. Ultimately this guy got back up on his bike and continued the ride, all was good. Please be prepared for all riding conditions and wear a RoadID tag to help us help you in case of a similar emergency.
On Monday we celebrated Memorial Day and Nancy and Neal Wilson hosted 29 riders as we marked the service of the many veterans who served this country and helped to protect our American way of life. The Wilson’s were great hosts and the food, the friends, the cycling and the swimming were superb.
June is upon us and the cycling season is in full swing, check out all the events below.
As a final note, I want to say that when I started this group a few years back I could never envision the success of our cycling club, the growth has been just phenomenal and I think I am the luckiest guy in the world because I made over 600 new friends. Plus we are out staying fit and raising money for the great work of many charities. Thank you all for contributing to our success. I also want to thank the B level riders for coming to my aid when I fell on Sunday.
Special discount code “hangtag20“, saves folks $20 when they register for the MS City to Shore ride, sign up today before the price increase June 1, 2013.
- Thursday, 5/30 at 6:00pm – C/B pace, 20 mile evening ride will depart from the Indian Spring Country Club. The route will be the Medford Lakes 20-mile loop.
- Friday, 5/31 at 9:00am – Schuylkill River Trail ride, C/C+ for 30-35 miles. Meet at parking lot on Kelly Dr. west of East Falls bridge.
- Saturday, 6/1 at 8:30am – B+ pace. 40+/- miles. Details will be published later this week.
- Saturday, 6/1 – Tour de Cure from Ambler PA. Join our John Murphy and register as a member of Team Stradley Ronon, on the ADA ride to stop diabetes.
- Saturday, 6/1 at 1:00pm – Meet and greet professional cycling Team Novo Nordisk at Virtua Health and Wellness Center in Moorestown, sponsored by the JDRF. Register before May 25th.
- Sunday, 6/2 at 8:30am – Our weekly all-level ride will depart from the Indian Springs Country Club. The route will be published later this week.
- Saturday, 6/8 – MS Muckfest – Join Team Evesham in the fun event.
Ride safely, obey all traffic laws, and have fun!
– Sandy, Brad, Dave, Scott, Laura & the Team Evesham Ride Leadership